What can I do?

                                           


Last week two officials of an organisation working in social sector contacted me. They requested if I can volunteer and help them with fund-raising for their initiative. They were raising funds to help out families of stranded migrants. They were making sanitation kits and kits of daily essentials and were delivering it to the families of the labourers who were on their way back home.

Much has been spoken and written about the plight of these migrants. What I feel the worst was, they were not even afforded an opportunity to go back to their homes with dignity. When lockdown due to corona pandemic was announced, they were laid off and were forced out of their temporary homes in cities. Having lost their jobs and livelihood options, they started walking back to their homes.

On their way back, the cities that prospered on their labours did not make any arrangements for them to stay back, their food or for their transportation during early stage of the lockdown. They were left in a miserable state. They were treated as sub-humans and were driven out as if they were the root cause of pandemic. With little money left to fend themselves their despair was beyond compare.

Disabled, pregnant, few days old or 80 year old, irrespective of gender, caste, religion, these were made outcast in a day when lockdown was announced. While the privileged class was busy stocking up things, this migrant class set off on their journey way back home.

It was when their stories started making headlines in the newspapers I become aware of their plight. Till then I was yet to be aware of the gravity of the situation. By that time everyone had announced “war” on corona. We had already banged “thalis and talis” on “Janta-curfew”. That time I never ever realised it is going to be beyond worse for certain sections of society. Back then I just wished I too could contribute like frontline workers.

With every story of the migrant picture became clearer. Some stories did restored faith in humanity others made it difficult to believe if humanity exists. So many migrants lost their lives. Many “urban” people said why are they going back?, they will spread the virus and what not. Little did this "urban" people understand that it is so obvious that when you are in crisis you will want to be with your loved ones desperately. They too wanted the same. 

When they all the opportunities in the cities were lost, when they were struggling to survive here, when there was so much uncertainty around, when future looked bleak, they took a road to home and by walking hundreds of miles. Why walking…because no transportation facility was available.

Migrants are the worst affected by this pandemic is crystal clear. They have suffered worlds all the miseries. While the privileged were busy in “quarantine challenges” they were risking their lives in “real life challenges” be it fighting to get a piece of bread or to sneak out of the state saving from police’s harsh actions. Their distress is beyond imagination, beyond any words to describe.

All this while I wondering how can I help them? What can I do? Being myself in containment zone, every possible restriction is there on every single movement. So going out to volunteer and help on ground was tough despite how much I wanted to go and do. All I could do was writing on blog and rant about the situation. It only vented my frustration with zero impact on ground level.

That is when I got opportunity when the two officials approached me to be fund-raising volunteer. While still on the call, I started making strategies of how to go about it. Compared to others, my job did not demand any physical work on ground. All I had to do is sit at home and dial people in my network appealing and convincing them to contribute and donate for the cause.

I started sending messages, calling people mainly my family, friends, teachers and colleagues persuading them to help. Some asked why I am doing it. Honestly, I wanted to grab the opportunity since it was the only possible way I could do my bit for the migrants. Finally I had got something which makes at least some minute if not major impact on the plight of the migrants. I did not want to waste it. Yes, Gandhiji’s Talisman was also there as a guiding force.

Trust me I had no monetary or any other kind of interest in the activity. My only interest it satisfied was finally I had got answer of sorts to the question that was plaguing me – What can I do? It is not guilt; there are certain things which bother you a lot, which itches you and make you feel restless, helpless and hopeless. For me this volunteering activity gave some respite to that feeling of mine.

There is no harm in helping your fellow humans when they need you the most. I am lucky that I belong to the privileged class. And that puts bigger responsibility on me to take care of those less privileged. I will therefore do what all is possible for me in the best of my capacity. And I will appeal, convince and encourage many privileged like me to do the same.

One thing I will mention here is that people’s response to the fund-raising campaign was overwhelming. They donated generously. They even spread the word. I was humbled by the response and the kindness shown. That restores my faith in humanity again. It encourages me to give the best and be a better human being.

I will conclude by the what Anshu Gupta, Founder Goonj always say: Our country needs doers and not thinkers. So let us try to be doers by doing what is there in our capacity – be it physical, social, financial. And let us do this not to show off, but because our brethren is in crisis and need us the most. This isn't charity, this is humanity.

So give it a thought: if not now, then when? If not us then who?  

Comments

  1. Great work didi 👏👏👏. This blog is thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know we need to help them. I also know the efforts you took but unfortunately people dont have money to spent on others!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment